Tuesday, November 17, 2009

QRP works


QRP Works

I'm getting my gear ready for a trip up to NC. I need to revamp my radio mounting system in the KIA Sorento since I sold the TM-V71A and the ID-880H head is about half the size.

I decided to see if I could catch any QSOs on the KX1. Since I was too lazy to go out to the car and get the 12v 2.3aH battery I ran off the internal 6AA cells. These batteries have been in there ever since I bought the rig and I would suppose they been there much longer before. They still have some juice left though. I hooked the KX1 up to my Z-100 Autotuner that was tunned for the loop in the attic. It was tunned for 7.114 so I had to make no changes. Just to be sure though I had the KX1 use its internal tuner. 1.1:1. On trasmit I got about 2 bars on the LCD. I'm guessing that is between 1 - 1.5watts. For 45 minutes I called CQ on 7.114-.117 and 7.032. On the lower frequencies I head VE2PID (I hope) and called him back. By this time it had been 45 minutes and the KX1 was complaining about every minute that the batteries were low. I turned off the LED to save some power. He came back and we exchanged reports. I stopped the QSO quick as I was not sure how much longer I could go. Pierre was a tad fast and maybe I copied 50%.

It is nice to cast 45 minutes and finally catch a fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment